Thursday, August 3, 2017

Buxom Customizable Eyeshadow Palette Review

Here's the thing about palettes - the value is almost always there, but how many times have you bought a palette and genuinely liked or wore every single shade? For me, there's always those few sad shades in the corner, gazing wistfully over at the shimmery neutrals being worn down to the pan. I feel bad for them, I do. But not bad enough to force myself to use them. What a waste, right?

I'm loving the new customizable options that have been coming out! It seems like several brands have popped up with, if not holders specifically shaped to the product such as the one I'm about to review, at least magnetic palettes capable of fitting stand-alone shades with magnetized backs. It's a wonderful world out there now. You do you. 

This palette is by Buxom, and I highly recommend this for anyone trying to get a specifically themed look together. Read on for background information from the brand about the palette and shadows, swatches and pictures of the palette I built, and my thoughts!


My lovely custom built palette.

From the brand:

'Take your favorite Buxom Eyeshadow Bar eye shades to-go with this refillable, Buxom Empty Eyeshadow Bar Customizable Compact. Choose your favorite shades and then pop them into the six-shade compact, which has a stylish, faux croc-embossed lid and an innovative hidden drawer that slides in and out for easy loading.'

'Featuring primer-infused technology to help keep color locked in place, this Single Eyeshadow Refill has a powerfully pigmented formula that glides onto lids - delivering intense payoff with an ultra-luxe, powder-to-silk feel. Moreover, with finishes ranging from plush matte to shimmering metallic to sparkle and duo-chrome, each shade offers eye-catching possibilities.'


As far as value, these are excellent.
  • Each stand-alone shade is normally $12 (which I don't find to be unreasonable for the pan size at .05 oz compared to brands of similar quality in the market). 
  • The customizable palette is $13 when bought by itself. This palette includes a small two-sized brush. 
  • The palette plus all six eyeshadows to fill it would come out to be $85 at full price; Buxom offers a combination deal with purchase of palette and six eyeshadows, however, reducing the price to $40.

Score. For the ability to pick each and every shade in the palette, I find this to be SO worth it.


Palette packaging, single eyeshadow packaging, and customizable eyeshadow palette



As mentioned, the tray holding the individual shadows slides in and out so you can add/take out easily. The tray is extremely secure when put in place (such a satisfying click) - no chance of anything falling out and breaking. Each shadow also clicks into its little slot, as you can see in the pictures. Great overall design.






Let's get on to the fun part - shades and swatches! I built my palette to use primarily for everyday looks, with a shimmery gold neutral pop and one fun color if I wanted to amp it up for the night. I wanted this to be something simple to keep in my purse at all times and know my bases were covered. 

A note on shade selection - on the Buxom brand website, there are 48 shades available. If you purchase through Sephora, there are 42; at Ulta, there are 40. Worth consideration - however, I personally would advise purchasing at a vendor with the shades available to swatch in person, as some of these shadows can be hit or miss, and shades can look different online.  


Shades from left to right: Cashmere Craving, Gimme Gorgeous, Lingerie Lover, Spoiled Sexy, Bold Bling, Wild Nights


Cashmere Craving, Gimme Gorgeous, Lingerie Lover

  • Cashmere Craving - matte light, neutral almond (note - this is almost invisible swatched)
  • Gimme Gorgeous - matte camel
  • Lingerie Lover - matte mauve

Spoiled Sexy, Bold Bling, Wild Nights

  • Spoiled Sexy - matte deep mauve
  • Bold Bling - metallic rose gold
  • Wild Nights - shimmering sugar plum

Left to right: Cashmere Craving, Gimme Gorgeous, Lingerie Lover, Spoiled Sexy, Bold Bling, Wild Nights


Left to right: Cashmere Craving, Gimme Gorgeous, Lingerie Lover, Spoiled Sexy, Bold Bling, Wild Nights


Wearing a sheer wash of Bold Bling


Wearing a sheer wash of Bold Bling




Final thoughts - 

I really liked the texture of every shade except for Cashmere Craving. I went in hoping for an easy, neutral base shade on the paler side to wear as a simple wash or as a foundation for other colors. Unfortunately, this shade is tending to be chalky and uneven. My most worn shade is Lingerie Lover for everyday looks, and my favorite is Wild Nights (such a gorgeous shimmer!); all of the other shades I chose are very reliably pigmented.

This is one of my new favorite palettes! Buxom does come out with special editions of the palette pre-loaded with shades from time to time, and these usually include one or more shades that you can't buy as a stand-alone, so keep an eye out. 

What is your dream palette combination? Let me know!

Purchase the Buxom Customizable Eyeshadow Palette online here


- Taylor





6 comments:

  1. OMG i'm so glad you did this--I was wondering how their palette's held up! I saw them at ulta and ALMOST bought it. Now i definitely will :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. Shimmer Eyeshadow Palette

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I own only one Buxom shadow, Designer or Die, and I love it.
    Designer or Die is a very pale matte greige, a shade I simply couldn't find in any other line. Here's a photo:
    https://tinyurl.com/y45jqrq6
    On NW15 brunette green-eyed me, "Designer or Die" on lid + Makeup Geek "Faux Fur" in creases = the perfect neutral matte eye.
    Now I'm kind of lemming "Cashmere Craving," but I'm wondering if it would be too similar to "Designer."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic blog. Some really vivid colors are here. The pigmentation is amazing.
    Refillable Makeup Palette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you write. Awesome, keep it up. Your design of the blog is really eye-catching. More over the content is also very productive. Information you have provided is really very beneficial.
    Build Eyeshadow Palette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect!!! Great information provided. I appreciate your work.
    Refillable Makeup Palette

    ReplyDelete