Thursday, August 10, 2017

Jamberry Nail Wraps Application & Review

Nail wraps by Jamberry in the pattern Kimono

I've always dreamed of being polished - you know, hair always looking perfect, makeup not sliding everywhere and flawlessly blended, outfit minus the ranch dressing stains (damn you wings), unchipped nails.

I've since come to realize that it would literally be a full time job, except for a few unicorn ladies out there. (Side note: the pun in the first sentence was actually unintentional, but after reviewing the post and realizing its existence, I'm delighted with it.)

So typically, I go for one polished category at a time. Maybe two if I'm feeling extra fancy! Lately it's been keeping up with my nails. Let me take you quickly through my nailvolution.


  • I've sworn off regular nail polish, to begin with, because I just can't do it. My technique, developed over twenty plus years of life, is STILL to paint the entire finger with polish and then flake the excess off in the shower. And what good does it do to go to all that trouble when it just peels right off bit by bit the next day? Looks much worse than bare nails, I tell you. There's respectability in a nice bare nail. 
  • Next I moved to getting gel polish at the salon. Still a fan of this, actually! They whip my ragged cuticles right into shape, and I've had phenomenal luck with the lasting power. The problem is with removal - it's horrible for your nails to peel gel polish off, so I find myself in situations where the edges are peeling upward and my nails are getting caught in my hair, which is the absolute worst. So my options are, a) destroy my nail, or b) return to said salon and spend more money on getting them to remove the polish, at which point since I'm already there why not go ahead and get another gel mani? And so the cycle continues. 
  • Now, I'm giving something new a try, and so far I'm liking it despite my decidedly amateurish application technique! Unlike with traditional nail polish, I truly believe that given time I can perfect my skill with nail wraps. Also, I like the patterns! I've never been a pattern girl, but I say don't knock them until you try them. I have been going a relatively conservative route with the colors and designs, but my horizons are expanding every day.




 Let's take a look at the nail wrap route!


My lovely friend Elyce introduced Jamberry nail wraps to me by always having the coolest nails ever.

Naturally, one has to ask where said cool nails came from. Luckily for me, she became a Jamberry distributor and my affair began! Click here to get to her Facebook page, which includes incredibly handy videos demonstrating application/removal in a far more expert manner than I am capable of.

Description from Jamberry's website:


 "Nail wraps are thin vinyl sheets that are pressure and heat activated to adhere to your nail for a long lasting and beautiful look. They are made with durable materials, so smudges and streaks are never an issue, and can last for up to two weeks on fingernails and four weeks on toes!"


Trim Tip to Toe Nail Care Kit , Sally Hansen Cuticle Rehab


I began my journey by purchasing an at-home manicure kit for general upkeep, which I would highly recommend doing. My kit came from Target for $10, and includes everything you might need. Buffer, file, nail clippers, nail brush, cuticle pusher, cuticle trimmers, and small scissors (not pictured).

In addition, I bought Sally Hansens' Cuticle Rehab for my chronically dry nail beds. I would recommend applying the cuticle cream the night before, as you want your nails and skin to be as moisture-free as possible while applying the wraps.


Let's get this party started.

Jamberry Application Steps:



1. Find a spot with good lighting. You want to be able to see all angles in case of any bubbles that pop up. Next, line the wraps on the sheet up with the appropriately sized nail. For ideal application you want room on all sides of the wrap when placed on the nail - it will not adhere well to skin, and you won't get a tight seal (which prevents the wrap from lifting up prematurely). So choose your size accordingly!




2. Lift the wrap gently from the sheet using a tool such as a cuticle pusher or tweezers - you do not want to touch the underside with your fingers!




3. Cut the wrap in half (each strip can be used for two nails). 




4. Heat the wrap for approximately three to five seconds with a hair dryer or mini heater - don't get too close or heat for too long, you don't want the nail wrap to bend and touch itself or get too hot. 




5. Position the tool you are using so that the rounded edge of the wrap is facing the cuticle of the nail, and gently apply. Make sure you don't have edges of the wrap touching skin!




6. Immediately press the wrap down, beginning at the middle and smoothing out towards the edges to avoid any bubbles. 




7. This is optional (you could move straight to filing), but I prefer to trim the excess slightly before I file the top of the wrap off. 





8. File at a 45 degree angle with the bottom edge of the file angled AWAY from the nail - you will get better lasting power if there is no overhang of the wrap. 


Yayyyyyyyyyy.



And voila! You're done, and hopefully your nails now look super cool! See below for a few of my favorite picks for the summer - they range from matte to glossy finish, options for everyone.

My personal experience with these has been very positive - there's a little bit of a learning curve and I wasn't the best at getting the wraps to lie completely flat on my nails at first, but now I can knock out an application session in less than ten minutes with great results. They last several weeks on me, and I'll occasionally put a top coat on (completely personal preference).

You can check out Elyce's Jamberry page here, and her Facebook page Put on the Jams (including helpful videos) here



Clockwise top left to right: Brooklyn Bridge, Fields of Green, Summer Mosaic, Petite Posies,
Copenhagen, Guava, Kimono, By Any Other Name



Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts! Happy hauling!

- Taylor



1 comment: